Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Some Stuff

Here are two not really random experiments that I was quite happy with. polenta pieThe First:"Polenta Pie" will not look familiar unless you look closely. Then you will note that it is the braised 'veal breast' (actually pork in this case) that we had for dinner on the 22nd. So if the ingredients are unseemly this is a very suitable and tasty way to contain all the broken bits of things and sauces, etc. Even after I let it rest for an hour it was a bit runny, so if you want the recipe and decide to take the easy way out, make sure and let it rest for at least an hour and a half.


Anatra alla Mele Confiture e Risotto alla Paesana e dragoncello

The second (and in my opinion better) of the two experiments involved something based on something that I came across while downloading and reading through the daily French Laundry tasting menus. I came across a Bavarois (Bavarian Cream preperation) that took apple relish. I had two apples, so it was my desire to try to make an apple relish - which I thought might be a savory accompaniment for pork. I mistakenly remembered that I had a pint of duck stock in the freezer, however, and so I switched from a relish to a confiture of apple, pinenuts, lemon, lime and ginger - only to realize that I did not in fact have the aforementioned stock. With the vegetable stock that I did have, I made Risotto alla "Paesana," and it worked out pretty fantastically - so that is going to be the option instead of pork that we'll decide on for the Monday dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment