Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dinner - Monday February 8th

First order of business is: Zhu-Zhu wants dinner on Wednesday now instead of Monday - so if a majority of people are available for a Wednesday dinner I can move it, otherwise it stays at Monday - and if nobody lets me know about their availability it stays at Monday.

Second order of business: I want to do some interesting things with this dinner, so if anyone has access to at least a 30cc syringe with a relatively large needle that would be nice - otherwise I'll go out and find one myself.

I'm not sure of the price on this dinner yet - I'm going to guess that this will actually run somewhere around $27 per person (give or take, I'll find out exactly as I do the shopping). There are eight courses, but they are very small - Very Small - VERY SMALL; also most of them will be primarily prepared in advance - so dinner moves at the rate in which you eat, so if you want/need to leave earlier then eat a little faster.

So, formal wear; why not?

  • Crab
  • Cashews, Parsnips, Coconut
  • French Onion
  • Manchego, Brioche, Sherry
  • Apple
  • Horseradish, Celery Juice & Leaves
  • Lamb
  • Mastic, Date, Rosemary
  • Olive
  • Saffron, Olive Oil, Cherry
  • Cheese
  • In a Cracker

  • Caramel Popcorn

  • Hazelnut Cake
  • Carrot, Raisin, Melted Butter

Yes, it might look familiar, but pared down - remember, the portions are small and to a large extent prepared beforehand so we should easily be able to finish by 11pm (maybe).

If you want to invite a friend under the guise of sampling the fine art of molecular gastronomy, now would be the time to do so...

7 comments:

  1. If we move to Wednesday, I'll have to miss out or leave really early on 2/3, 2/10, and 2/18 because I have clinicals the next day. By "really early" I mean I should be out the door by 2100.

    Speaking of clinicals, I may be able to filch a 30cc or larger syringe from the hospital if I remember, and I have plenty of 18Gx1 needles in my nurse pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can do either day, and I have consistent unsupervised access to the lab syringes and needles. We have 1, 5, 10, 20 and 50mL syringes. What kind of gauge do you need?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If one cc is equal to one mL (as my brief search indicated) then I probably would like the 50mL syringe. It's for cheese puree, so you basically have to ask yourself if a warm milk and cheese liquid could comfortable pass through the needle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For this dinner, I can still do Monday. I'll just have to go home earlier than I normally do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In science, we use mLs. In medicine, they use CCs. So my boss, an MD, talks in CCs and my tech-coworker and I talk in mLs. The largest gauge needle I can get you is 20, which has a 0.6mm inner diameter. Lydia's 18 gauge needles have a 0.83mm inner diameter, so hers will probably be better for cheese. I'll bring you a few syringes, but try to wash and re-use them since I don't want to take too much from the lab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazmin can also get me syringes and I also ordered some cheap syringes, so I'll see which are better for what I'm doing. Every kitchen should be fully stocked with syringes, of course.

    ReplyDelete