Sunday, August 2, 2009

Dinner - Monday, August 10th

Well, I've been doing a fair amount of reading on cheeses (because as I mentioned previously I was annoyed with my inferior knowledge of cheese), and so I think that I am going to attempt a very simple, cheese based dinner. The reasons are twofold (and no, there will be no vote because I can't know what cheeses I will buy until I buy them): Firstly, it's hot out and I want to steer away from cooking (the only cooking will be the bread), and secondly I haven't an over-abundance of energy at the moment due to the heat and the amount that I'm working. So, this dinner will differ from the usual in that I will also be including paired wines within the price (remember serious cheese needs two things - good wine, and amazing bread) instead of in addition to. Cheese is best bought the day that it is used, so I will probably try to get about 8-10 cheeses (or whatever is within a reasonable price), and the price will probably end up being between $15 - $20 (plan on $20), so you won't be able to pay me in advance.

A Tasting of Cheese($15-$20)

  • Green salad with fruit and nuts
  • Kobiola - 3 milk; Piedmonte, Italy
  • Le Haut-Lieu Vourvray - France, 2006
    Huet le Haut Lieu sec Vourvray
  • Langres, Campagn Region - France
  • Venica Romco del Cerò Collio Sauvignon - Italy, 2008
    Venica Sauvignon Ronco Cero
  • Pave de Jadis - Goat; Loire Valley, France &
    Comté, AOC - Cow; France
  • Crémant D'Alsace Bott Geyl
    Bott Geyl Cremant
  • Abbey de Belloc - Sheep; France &
    Sottocenere with Truffles - Italy
  • L'Arco Rosso del Veronese
    L'Arco Rosso Veronese
  • Pecorino Grand Cru - Italy &
    4yr Parmesan - Italy
  • Monteraponi Chianti Classico, 2004
    Moteraponi Chianti Classico
  • Teleggio - Cow; Lombardy, Italy &
    St. Agur Blue - Cow; France
  • Cascina del Santuario Moscato D'asti, 2008
    Santuario Muscato
  • Strawberry and Champagne Terrine

7 comments:

  1. Drat! Can't make it and I really love cheese! Have fun y'all!

    Steve D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be there, and I'll try to scrounge up some other participants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.alineaathome.com

    I want to actually read your new book again. I wonder why it costs $2000. It's essentially a waterbath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Immersion circulater only cost $700 or something, it's the chambered vacuum packer that costs $2000, and it's because it can compress and vacuum liquids without vacuuming the liquid out of the bag. It's a very special peice of equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read some of this lady's French Laundry at home stuff - she's cooked all the way through it - but I doubt that she'll get the immersion circulater and chambered vacuum packer and cook through Sous Vide... Mwhahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah...I should have remembered about the liquids.

    ReplyDelete